Call for Papers
Zhi Dao Guan, The Taoist Center, in Oakland, CA, will host the Ninth Annual Taoist Gathering on October 26-28, 2012 at Samuel Merritt University – Health Education Center – in Oakland, CA – a weekend devoted to the study, practice, and promotion of Taoism. Our themes have been: Invitation to come down from the mountains (2004), Student (2005), Teacher (2006), Seeker of the Path (2007), Renewal (2008), Being and Becoming (2009), You Are What You Practice (2010), and Immortality (2011).
The theme for the 2012 Taoist Gathering is DEITIES OF THE DAO. We are interested in exploring the concept of Deities and how this term may be considered and understood as a Daoist concept
Many cultures have deities – one or many. What is the historical development of deities in Daoism? How does the concept of deity in Daoism differ from other cultures? What does “deity” offer to society, Daoist practitioners? A connection? A communication with the supernatural? A symbol for hope, inspiration, longevity/mortality, protection, other gifts
We are open to your creativity! It may be an overview or specific to one or more deities. It may be a practice, ritual, music, or a narrative/presentation or other modality.
- What is your understanding and/or experience of Deities in Daoism?
- How does the concept of deities fit into your understanding of Daoism and your practice?
- What are present day expressions of deities and their use in Daoism?
- Is it relevant to have Deities as a subject of modern Daoism
We invite you to submit an abstract for consideration for inclusion in this important conference. We are interested in lectures as well as presentations that are interactive with the audience.
Presentations are 50 to 90 minutes in length with some offered to the general audience and others in concurrent sessions.
The purpose of the Gathering is to :
- Encourage a more indepth understanding of Taoism by providing a forum for discussion of provocative, reference-based presentations on Taoist philosophy and approaches to studying Taoism
- Demonstrate the multiple aspects of Taoism – spiritual, physical, ceremonial, alchemical, and medical
- Continue the development of an international community of Taoists with common goals of sharing Taoism and promoting Taoism as a spiritual, healing path
Criteria for selection of abstracts for presentation at the Gathering:
1. Author is a Taoist practitioner/scholar
2. Presentation is based on published Taoist teachings rather than a personalized or anecdotal presentation
3. Abstract is clear in its purpose and scope of what will be covered
4. Bibliography that supports the paper is included with the abstrac
Please submit your typed abstract on the enclosed Abstract Submission Form (you may make copies) and mail/fax/email it to Zhi Dao Guan.
Dr. Alex Feng, LAc, PhD, OMD
Zhi Dao Guan The Taoist Center
3824 MacArthur Blvd., Oakland CA 94619
Phone: 510-336-0129 Fax: 510-336-0297